Tuesday 26 October 2010

The power of belief

There is a line in a Curtis Mayfield tune that states ‘educated fools from uneducated schools’, this pretty much sums many current western education systems up for me. Having worked for many years with young people and adults that were somewhat removed from the ‘mainstream’ system, especially in terms of education, I always referred to my clients as ‘spirited’ (especially those who were REALLY ‘off the rails’).

This simple word, as opposed to ‘disadvantaged’ or ‘at risk’ or ‘dis-engaged’ allowed a huge shift in the way that I [and others around me] thought about such clients, importantly from the word go. My style of teaching encompasses the mind, body and spirit and I believe one of THE most powerful tools any educator can employ is the power of BELIEF. To believe that clients have their own capacity for growth [and positive change], when the time is right for them.

This is not to say that I am a guru or live a life of cave dwelling purity, it does mean however that I use my experiences, knowledge and [apparent] wisdom to plant a seed of belief and compassion with people that I choose to interact with. One can gain insight into some of my influences by browsing my blog, Bruce Lee for instance - a huge inspiration to me. My teaching almost the art of 'teaching without teaching', I prefer to view it as 'allowing others to be open to learning'. The age old difference of being a leader who is feared or a leader who is followed...

There is a quote that helps explain this: "If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that."

More on this in future posts...