Saturday 17 April 2010

Acorns to Oak

Some time ago, not long after that serendipitous first wave where surfing plunged her watery roots into my very being and took a loving hold of me in her open palms, I rediscovered my hobo, shunning the serried lifestyle in adoption of a two-wheeled caravanserai.

Caravan life brought me closer to the land and now the little owl replaces sirens, it shows its hunt through calls, I witness sparrow hawks instead of a fashion parade, prey in claws, swooping low over the thick hedges that border nocturnal badgers under the fields.

My border collie Benbo met a badger during an evening walk, they went nose to nose, an investigative Inuit-style greeting, perhaps they wondered how they came to be wearing the same outfits - a magical moment allowed through silence and being able to walk out at night without fear and in the countryside!

Hoboism lends itself to less consumerism: water use is amplified in its scrutiny, how much propane gas (it has a lower freezing temperature, I found out the hard way) it takes to keep me warm in the dead grip of Winter is directly related to cost of the fuel bottles and the cost to collect them in the first place. The effort it takes to walk to the water point to refill the ‘aquaroll’ is real, I don’t just turn a tap to a never ending water supply. If I want water, I have to get it myself, this simple act still makes me ponder the shear scale of global consumption and reminds me how easy it is, to forget to remember that the hydrological cycle travels many journeys prior to being imbibed.

Recycling in the caravan morphs to a focus on initial reduction on producing waste (through the purchase of items with non-essential packaging) in the first place. My consumer choices can create a small mountain of utter waste after just one day, perhaps this draws me to grow my own food or at least buy local and bag free.

I noticed how much crap I had too, I mean stuff I just do not need to lead a happy life. I have not once missed the TV, and read a lot more now too…this means I consume less and learn more.

It is ludicrous that here in the UK, we use drinking water to flush our toilets!!! It really beggers belief.

The eco bog (toilet), as used in many parts of the world, is a great idea, it reduces water use and there is zero smell, plus the compost heap is healthier for it…if you ask me – that’s the shit we need!

Especially so, in todays age of Goliath monocultured, gargantuan globalised greed and crazy collective consumerism, is the ever important requirement for nurturing a community focused social conscience.

This obvious ethical finger points at me first, “Be the change you want to see in the world”, as Ghandi so peacefully observes.

As a human being and planetary resource consumer, each and every day the ethical finger points at me and like the ‘bang’ sign from a cartoon gun, it gives me a wonderful thing: CHOICE

And with it, the CHANCE to make the right choice, not because it’s fashionable or makes me feel better (which it does), but because I want to surf clean oceans and echo David Brower’s words: “We do not inherit the earth from our forefathers, we borrow it from our children”, most of all though, because I have enough knowledge and freedom to have the chance to make a positive difference.

If you feel like making a positive difference (because it does however small the act) then have a ponder at these pages.

From green (i.e. sensible) and clean (i.e. sustainable) tips and tricks, like making a wind turbine from hamster farts or running a car on dog hairs and monkey sweat to links on ethical products, such as Howies, Patagonia and Finisterre, or top quality links to information treasure troves like the Beach Clean Network, Surfers Against Sewage, or other equally worthwhile golden nuggets of self-respecting, planet loving, cost saving information that’s sure to score a goal with your soul and put more pride in your glide!

I was born an acorn and I becoming my oak.